Saturday, February 6, 2010


Owl Moon by Jane Yolen Illustrated by John Schoenherr
I was drawn to this book book because it has won the Caldecotti medal and I am in love with the cover. The story is about a father and daughter go owling last one night and their beautiful night's adventure. The reason I liked this book so much is because it is a book that takes you back to those special moments that you share with your parents. It can be just as simple as a walk in the woods like this book but moments like that are special. The story reminded me of one of my favorite memories from when I was little. My first house in my bedroom there was a floor to ceiling window One clear night I had on pink and white fuzzy pj's and my dad came up with a plate of grahm crackers. I sat in his lap and we looked at the stars while munching away on our crackers. I live just off the lake front so I am usually able to see the stars on a clear night. In this book the descriptions the author uses brings out all of your senses so you feel like you are this. This made the book very relatable to me. I think this would be a fantastic story to read aloud and use as part of a writing workshop project. It is one that is definatly going to go in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment