Friday, February 5, 2010



Bringing in the New Year by Grace Lin

I chose this book because honestly I wanted to learn a little more about the new year myself. I think it's important in the classroom to have a lot of diversit from lessons to your classroom design. One thing I really remembered is always learning about so many different cultures. Some of the ones that stuck out in my mind is a group in africa that clicks as their form of communication.

This book was great because in a simply manner it provided the traditions of the new year and how it is celebrated. In the back of the book there are two pages that give a little more detail about the new year also. The pictures in this book are very important because they show what the people are doing to get ready for the new year. They show the type of clothes they wear, food they make and things that are special to just the new year like lanterns and spring poems.

What I thought was unique about the book is the inside cover of the book isn't a solid color. It is actually pictures of things that are traditional to the Chinese new year with the names under them. The names are in Chinese too. That is what I also like about this book. It provided an opportunity to see words in Chinese and that gives the chance to say them out loud. This book is appropiate for k-1 but it would be one that I would want in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment