Tuesday, February 23, 2010



Animals Should Definitely not act like People by Judty Barrett and Illustrated by Ron Barrett


This book is a sequal to Animals shoudl definitely not wear clothing. It is a book about why animals wouldn't like to do the things like people do. On each page, the letter that the animal starts with, a verb or adjective to describe why that animal wouldn't like doing people things is used. For example "a worm would be worn out." It makes for the writing to flow really well. The first time I read through it in fact I almost didn't pay any attention to the pictures. But then I realized that the humor in the book was because of the picks. In the line I mentioned above there is a picture of a worm lifting a weight as if it was at the gym. I thought this was realyl clever because the writing worked so well I almost didn't even focus on the pictures. But then when I read it again, I was smiling looking at all the pictures because it's a book with a lot of humor.
Something that stood out to me was that the format of the book. First, the title page was also the first page of the book and then the page after the title page started with because. Secondly, the writing is in huge black, bold letters that take up an entire page. Finally, the words and pictures fliop-flop sides. So on the book the page on the left might have the words on both sides and then the page on the left would have the picture on both sides. I don't know why they did it that way but it was something I noticed because it kept my eyes almost going in a circle.
I really enjoyed how this book uses strong adjectives to describe what would happen because that would fit in really well with a writing assignment. If you wanted to do a mini-lesson how showing and not telling with your words this would be a good book to use as an example. Also, I think it would be a good resource to give children ideas about what they could write about if they are stuck. Just flip through the pages and your imagination can run wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment