Wednesday, February 17, 2010


The Great Fuzz Frenzy by Janet Stevens and Susan Crummel
I love, love this book! The great fuzz frenzy if about a group of groundhogs who find a mysterious tennis ball that rolls into their hole one day. At first they don't know what it is but then one brave little guy touches it and finds that is it fuzzy. He takes some fuzz and plays with it and soon everyone wants a piece of the fuzz. However, there isn't enough to go around so one groundhog decides to take charge and steal everyones fuzz so no one has any. Then he gets swooped away by a huge bird. Thankfully he is ok and the groundhogs reunite ddespite the fuzz dispute.
If you are ever looking for a book that uses strong verbs and imagery, this is it. Every page is like you are acutally there. The authors are very clever and find 10 different ways to describe something and each way brings something new and exciting to the page. This is one of those books that although the pictures are great, the writing is so good and detailed that you could imagine it without needed to see the images.
The story starts even before you open up the first page. On the inside front jacket, you see a dog playing with a ball. When you turn the page to the title page, you see the dogs name is violet and violet drops the ball down a hole. Then begins the story. But the first page isn't normal either. It is a page that you unfold so that you hold the book vertically and you basically see the ball bouncing down and down into a groundhog hole. This happens 3 times during the book. Then on the back inside jacket you see violet again but this time she has a different colored tennis ball and she is about to drop it in the hole agian! I like this cute little humor.
I loved this book because a little mystery and humor mixed with cute animals usually makes for a good story in my opinion. You see the groundhogs wearing bottle caps for hats and the tennis ball fuzz as a dress and you can't help but smile. I think this is a book that I would like for my own personal collection. It is just one of those books that I love and for some reason I can't put my finger on a reason why but it is just one of those books that you know you like.
I bet I could even work it into a curriculum like how to use stronger verbs or for writing. (As a side note because I know that isn't the main poin of blogging)

No comments:

Post a Comment