Thursday, March 18, 2010


Dog heaven is about what possibly happens to a dog after they pass away. She really paints a beautiful picture about doggie heaven that would make the death of a pet easier for any child. It provides happy thoughts about them going to a place that is just perfect for them.
When I chose this book I wanted to read it because it was both written and illustrated by Cynthis Rylant which isn't foudnin too many of her books. At the end she says that the pictures were done with acrylicas. I like the simplicitly of the lines and pictures on the pgae. There is something beautiful about that. There is a sense of movement also created in the lines. Your eyes move around each page following the lines. There is definate color seperation on every page. Most pages have muted blues with spalshes of brighter colors.
The story is very sweet as well. I bought my own dog abut a year and half ago and he has truly become part of me. It is a bond people wont' understand unless they do have a pet. Paisley is a yorkie so he is very tiny and is a lover. He wants to be by me at all times. Although he is still only 2 years old, I can't imagine life without him. This books calsm my nerves about losing him at some point a little bit because it is easier when I think that he would be going to a good place.
I would liek to mention that is someone has a problem with god being used in a book and the idea of heaven as an after life then this book isn't going to be for you. God is mentioned a lot throughout the book. I however think that the spirtual side of this story is what makes it very good. We dont' usually think about pets going to an after life, at least I don't, so it kind of got me thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment