Thursday, March 18, 2010


At first I was drawn to this book honestly because I opened a page and it had glitter all over it. Then I started to read it and the winter is finally ending so it seems like a topic I can read about one more time and store away until the end of the year. The way snow is written is amazing. It is full of similies and personification of snow. The whole book describes the different snows that there are and how they make you feel. There is snow like a shy friend afraid to knock, snow that is cheerful and lets you know you are not where you want to be (school), and snow that tells you it will send you home early for the day.
What I really liked about this book is that I could actually feel the different emotions that snow brings us that I had never thought about. This keeped me really focused on the book. Everytime it start to really snow all of us have the TV on hoping for cancelled classes. Sometimes there is snow so beautiful it reminds you for a little while how much you love the snow and couldn't live without it. This feeling only lasts for a few hours though.
Another favorite part of this book for me was Lauren Stronger's Illistrations. Snow is the main character throughout the whole book. She creates movement in her drawings with the snow and makes snow the focal point of all the pages. The people are secondary. I thought that was very cleaver. I didn't know you could makes something that is totally white stand out on every page.
This book would be amazing to teach personification in the classroom, especially if it is the time of the year when snow was about to come. The books really glorifies snow and makes you feel like it is your friend and someone that makes you feel so many good emotions.

1 comment:

  1. I have not read this book, but just by reading your post it sounds amazing. I cannot wait to go check it out and I hope to keep it for my future classroom. This would be so great as a read-aloud mini lesson about similes or personification. It would be great to do on a day that everyone is just so sick of all the snow outside and wishing it were spring. Sounds like the pictures are really great too and I agree that it is great to have snow be the focal point and all of the people secondary.

    ReplyDelete