Tuesday, April 20, 2010


Love that dog is a unique book about a boy who writes to his teacher in what seems like poem form inspired by Walter Dean Myers. I am not sure what to make of this book. I liked parts of it for teaching poetry in the classroom but some of it seemed only like a chopped up journal entry. I also thought it would be a cool book to use for students who don't really like to read because it shows another format. THe part that I liked most about this book is that the boy was inspirired by walter dean myers. He is a great rold model for kids and this book could really open up a study on him and his works.
I also think that this book would be a great way to introduce writers notebooks. It shows that there isn't a correct way to do an entry as long as you are doing it. you could also use to to show how you can workshop a piece of writing. The students could all have the same passage and have to rewrite it in different ways.
I know I talked a lot about how to use this book in the classroom because I am not sure how else to use this book. I don't know if it would have been one that I would have liked to read just on my own but it has a lot of potential for the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment