Thursday, January 21, 2010


Tacky the Penguin by Helen Lester
This was another book that I really liked. It reminded me of the movie Happy Feet. The main idea in this book is that it is ok to be different through lovable penguin characters. It shows how Tacky, the penguin who is different, is accepted by him fellow penguins one day even though it wasn't always easy. I think it also shows the other side where the penguin who were not accepting him should have all along because even though he was different looking, he was just like them.
The plot of the book is that Tacky is different from all the penguin's around him. He has different manners and dresses differently. The other penguin's think Tacky can be annoying but then one day he becomes the hero when he saves the penguins from some unwanted visitors.
This book takes a goofy approach to learning about acceptance by using a penguin like Tacky and that is why I enjoyed it. I like when you can use humor to teach a serious lesson because I think it helps get the point across even more. It also gives me creative ideas about how to teach acceptance with this book and how you can learn about the little creatures in the story!
I think that this book is appropiate for k-2. Pages have no more than 4 lines a page and it is wrtten very well. The author uses capital words in the story to show yelling which is something that stood out to me because I don't see that very often with picture books.
This is a very cute book that I would like to have on my shelves in my classroom if I taught the correct age.

No comments:

Post a Comment